I have a student who is having difficulty in my class. I think they may have a disability. What should I do to help them?

Talk privately with the student to discuss your observations. The student may reveal he or she has a disability. If this is the case and the student is registered with the DSS office, suggest that they talk to a Disability Adviser in the office.
If they are not aware of any particular difficulties, they may still be referred to the DSS office for an intake or prospective student appointment.  It is not unusual for high ability students to be identified with a learning disability at the college level.  Often the compensatory strategies used at the secondary level are no longer adequate in a demanding university setting. Suggest that the student call the DSS office at 707-664-2677 for further information.