Skip to main content

FAQs for Guidance Counselors

Frequently Asked Questions by High School Counselors

What can high school counselors do to assist students with disabilities transition to college with regard to university disability documentation requirements?

Answer: High school personnel can help a student with disabilities to identify and address the specific documentation requirements of the postsecondary institution that the student will be attending. This may include assisting the student to identify existing documentation in her or his education records that would satisfy the institution’s criteria, such as evaluation reports and the summary of the student’s academic achievement and functional performance; or it may include having the high school re-test the student ensuring that a comprehensive assessment is in place, which clearly indicates whether or not a disability is present. School personnel should be aware that institutions of postsecondary education typically do not accept brief conclusory statements for which no supporting evidence is offered as sufficient documentation of a disability and the need for an academic adjustment. School personnel should also be aware that some colleges may delay or deny services if the diagnosis or the documentation is unclear.

Is a student’s most recent individualized education plan (IEP) or 504 Plan sufficient to support the existence of a disability, and the need for an academic accommodation in a post-secondary setting?

Answer: An I.E.P. or 504 Plan may supplement accepted documentation (e.g. a current psycho-educational assessment), but an IEP or 504 Plan generally is not sufficient by itself to document a disability and the current functional limitations necessary to determine appropriate accommodations.
Assessment information and other material used to develop an IEP or Section 504 plan may be helpful to document a current disability or the need for academic accommodation or auxiliary aids and services.

What should students expect in working with a Disability Management Advisor at Sonoma State University?

Answer: Disability Management Services are available for students to meet individually with an advisor to discuss disability related issues, set up accommodations, and obtain academic advising specifically designed to address the needs of students with disabilities.

Read more FAQs for High School Counselors (Source: U.S. Dept. of Ed).
Still have more questions? Please contact the DSS Officeor call (707) 664-2677.