Note-taking assistance may be provided to qualified students who are registered with the Disability Services for Students office.
- Must be an SSU student and currently enrolled with the Disability Services for Students office.
- Have specific documentation of a disability where the functional limitations affect one’s ability to take notes in the classroom
- Students with hearing and visual impairments, as well as those with cognitive impairments related to processing speed, attentiveness, auditory processing, or dysgraphia, may also be eligible for note-taking assistance.
Note-Taking Accommodation Guidelines
- Note-taking services are provided as a disability-related accommodation to eligible students registered with the Disability Services for Students (DSS) office who have a documented disability, which impacts the student’s ability to effectively take notes in class.
- The DSS student should schedule an appointment with their DSS Advisor prior to the beginning of the semester to request note-taking accommodations in specific classes where this assistance is needed. Failure to promptly schedule an appointment with your Disability Management Advisor may result in a delay in the provision of this disability-related accommodation.
- The DSS student and DSS Advisor will discuss note-taking options such as:
- Note Taking Express (iOS/Android) for highlights of major topics or themes, basic concepts, new or difficult vocabulary, assignment details, class announcements and due dates for tests, quizzes, and projects.
- Use of the Otter.ai voice meeting notes app (iOS/Android) for word-for-word transcription.
- Classmate sharing their notes (Note taker)
- The DSS student should notify the DSS office if they experience any problems with the note-taking services that are being provided. Please be specific in providing examples of the problems you are experiencing and the DSS office will investigate and take appropriate action if needed.
- The DSS student should immediately notify DSS of any changes in the need for note-taking services or course enrollment status (dropping or changing classes).