The NVDA screen reader allows blind and vision-impaired people to access and interact with the Windows operating system and many third-party applications.
- Operating Systems: all 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and all Server Operating Systems starting from Windows Server 2008 R2.
- For Windows 7, NVDA requires Service Pack 1 or higher.
- For Windows Server 2008 R2, NVDA requires Service Pack 1 or higher.
- Memory: 256 MB or more of RAM
- Processor speed: 1.0 GHz or above
- About 90 MB of storage space.
- Support for popular applications including web browsers such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, email clients, internet chat software, music players, and office programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- Built-in speech synthesizer supporting over 50 languages, plus support for many other 3rd party voices
- Reporting of textual formatting where available such as font name and size, style and spelling errors
- Automatic announcement of text under the mouse and optional audible indication of the mouse position
- Support for many refreshable braille displays, including input of Braille via braille displays that have a braille keyboard
- Ability to run entirely from a USB flash drive or other portable media without the need for installation
- Easy to use talking installer
- Translated into more than 50 languages
- Support for modern Windows Operating Systems including both 32 and 64-bit variants
- Ability to run on Windows logon and other secure screens
- Announcing controls and text while interacting with gestures on touch screens